RPGs and related role-playing game material
24-HR RPG PROJECTS (3:16, Best Friends)
- 3:16 Carnage Amongst The Stars, 623 kB (PDF), 16 pp, published 14 October 2005, FREE, © 2005 Gregor Hutton. Written for a contest by Ron Edwards (The October Ronnies)
- It is ‘an SF role-playing game about fights throughout the cosmos’
- WINNER - October Ronnies 2005. 3:16 was awarded upper-level winner status and a $75 prize.
- More on the 24-hr RPG Project and The Forge
- I'm working on a 128-pp print version ($15/$22)... aiming for a late-06/early-07 release, see BoxNinja.com
- Best Friends, PDF or 48 pp Book, published Aug 06 $9.95 (PDF) or $14 (print), © 2006 Gregor Hutton.
‘Best Friends gets my award for most awesome and elegant currency mechanic.’ Paul Czege
- Best Friends [24-hr version], 327 kB (PDF), 24 pp, published 6 September 2005, FREE, © 2005 Gregor Hutton. Written for a contest by Ron Edwards (I was put into the ‘Unbaked but tasty so far’ section)
- It is ‘a role-playing game about girlfriends and all their petty hatreds’
- More on the 24-hr RPG Project and The Forge
- 48-pp print version released at Gen Con 06, just had its second printing, see BoxNinja.com
GHOSTFIGHTER, and other a|state stuff...
- Ghostfighter is a PDF supplement that I wrote for a|state. It’s available for sale ($6.95) through RPGnow
- Good points: two 5-star reviews on RPGnow and a ‘Copper Pick’ so far. All good for the new e-publishing horizon at Contested Ground Studios
- Bad points: I also did some illos for the sample characters, though at least one review didn't like the illos at all... but at least they praised the book
- I also did the maps (good reviews) and editing for The Lostfinders Guide To Mire End
- And I am the Editor of The Circular eZine (‘Silver Pick’ so far, and >500 downloads in total including those from RPGnow and the CGS website)
THE SHERYL CROW ROLEPLAYING GAME
- A roleplaying game based on the songs of Sheryl Crow: sherylcrow.pdf 72 kB (PDF), 1 pp, published (1st edn 15 March 2000; 2nd edn 12 April 2004), FREE, © Gregor Hutton 20002004
- More on my Sheryl Crow page. Note that the game is not officially licensed from, or approved by, Ms Crow in any way
- “Game In A Day” from Dragonmeet 2002 conceived, written, illustrated and a copy printed in about 12 hours
- Incarnate (updated with readable John Kovalic cartoon), 536 kB (PDF), 22 pp, published 20 November 2003, FREE, © Gameforce 2002
- Please make a donation to charity if you like it, POD is the nominated recipient of proceeds from Incarnate
- More on the Incarnate page
ERP (Elegant Role-Playing)
- Frenzy: Fast Action (2000, fastaction.pdf), 232 kB (PDF), 8 pp, published 24 July 2000, FREE, © Gregor Hutton & William E. Worthey 2000
- Frenzy: Fast Action (2004, FFAid3.0.pdf), 970 kB (PDF), 10 pp, in progress, © Gregor Hutton 2004
- More on Frenzy: Fast Action and the original Frenzy (1995, William Worthey, Gregor Hutton and Anthony Johnston)
- Scenario: Story of Lola Martin (256 kB, PDF, published 23 February 2004) originally in Frenzy (1995)
- No more update on Frenzy for the moment. I have other stuff that is going to take up my time until Christmas 05
OGL (d20, Open Gaming License)
- My page of OGL material, which hasn't gone very far at all. I am working on dReal Lite (460 kB, PDF) for Morgue, and I guess I might do some stuff based on that as it is short enough that I can get my head around it all. I just need to finish off putting in the art by November 2005... a date which you may have noticed is fast approaching :-)
- Ulysses Point (2005), 1 MB (PDF), 17 pp, published June 2005, FREE, product of the Game In A Weekend at Conpulsion 2005, Edinburgh. I just did the spaceship art. I think the rest of it is quite disappointing really, as it had the chance to be much more collaborative...
- Big Mutherf**kin' Crab Truckers (2006), 146 kB (PDF), 1 pp, published February 2006, FREE, product of a night at the pub with Myles Stenhouse. I gave him three words (crab, mountain, truck) and this is the idea he came up with. Somewhat (!) strong language (i.e. 56 f-bombs alone) but a strong setting and a passable system for contesting narration. I need to get Myles to write a scenario, run it, and then transcribe the actual play -- as an example of how to run/not to run (delete as applicable) the game. Awesome.
- I have scenarios for RPGs, the first of which is the Story of Lola Martin (256 kB, PDF, published 23 February 2004) originally in Frenzy (1995)
- Most notably I wrote the Cyberpunk scenario “The House That Jack Built”, which was published in Valkyrie issue 9 (1995). Being formatted for presentation here.
- Cheesed Off for a|state (204 kB, PDF, published 27 August 2005). This was originally published in IRM issue 2 (Feb 2005). Here it is published in an amended version, referring to my ‘Four-Point Scenario Construction’ essay.
- ‘Four-Point Scenario Construction’ essay (60 kB, PDF, published 27 August 2005)
- ‘Roleplaying game strata - I. Initial ideas’ essay (71 kB, PDF, published 14 February 2006)
- ‘Kill The Spirit’ essay (43 kB, PDF, published 1 October 2005), written in 1988 when I was in school I found it again recently and typed it into electronic form.
- Future essays on: Slow Burn, Timing, Character Sheet Design, Projecting An Image, Short Demos
Conventions and Gaming Organizations
- Conpulsion (Edinburgh, UK) [20022006, will be there in Mar 2007]
- Converzion (Aberdeen, UK) 
- Dragonmeet (London, UK) [20022005, will be there in Dec 2006]
- GaelCon (Dublin, Ireland) [2003, 2005, will be there in Oct 2006]
- GenCon US (Indianapolis, USA) [
1996, 2005, 2006] [pictures] Kill Bargle (5.6 MB, mov), Indie RPG Awards (21.7 MB, mov), GenCon Talent Show (5.2 MB, mov), Dancing Vincent Baker (488 kB, mov), Allan Dotson’s loud shirt (272 kB, mov), TS Luikart and his ENnie (5.6 MB, mov) [movies]
- Phil Masters’ page (list of conventions)
- ScottishGaming (gamers in, and from, Scotland)
- WarpCon (Cork, Ireland) [2005, 2006]
- I have character sheets available as PDFs for download. Notably I created the last official WFRP (1st Ed.) character sheet (188 kB, PDF) for Hogshead Publishing in 2000 (before they handed the licence back to Games Workshop) and the most recent ones for Contested Ground Studios’ a|state in 2004/2005.
- I now have some for WFRP 2nd Edn: Plain Black (124 kB, PDF), Brown variant (132 kB, PDF), Liber Fanatica variant (128 kB, PDF), Page 2 (84 kB, PDF)
“What is Roleplaying?” and Links
© 2006 Gregor Hutton